Ser Argentino. All about Argentina

The Church and Convent of San Francisco with its remains of colonial

In the founding center of Correntino are the Church and Convent of San Francisco. Its architecture houses traces of religious history.

As is well known, the province of  Corrientes  is characterized by its  worship  of  religion  and  devotional practices  . Among the diversity of  shrines  we can find is  the Church and Convent of San Francisco  . It is a  Catholic temple and Franciscan convent  under the patronage of  San Francisco de Asis, the creator of that Order  .

 Authentic works  

 Construction  of the  Convent  began approximately in  1589  , after the arrival of  Fraile Luis de Molina  . However, it was  completed  only around  1607  . Then, in  1638 , it was the turn of  the start-up of the chapel . It was rebuilt between  1861 and 1867 , where it adopted a  neoclassical style . Finally, the  complex was restored in 1948  and  declared a National Historical  Monument    three years later. According to the National Monuments Commission,  renowned evangelizers  such as  Fray Luis Beltrán and Fray José de la Quintana lived in the  cloister.

The convent has  large walls  made of adobe, which are  one meter thick  and are supported by hardwood columns. It also  preserves colonial-era roofs , an internal courtyard with cisterns and lush afforestation. In addition, the cover is made of shingles and taping of tacuaras reeds, which are tied with leather tients, on palms. Also, it preserves its  original doors, which were hand-carved . While the temple adopts a  baroque interior , in which its semicircular atrium stands out. Finally, it has a  tube organ and the pulpit, which is laminated in gold .

 Records of the past 

The  Franciscan Order  was the  first  of its kind  to settle in the province of Corrientes  . However, the exact date of your arrival is unknown. Around 1583 , Friar Juan de Rivadeneira presented a project before King Philip II . There,  he advised the establishment of a village  in the  region  of the seven currents . Subsequently, the  conqueror Juan Torres de Vera y Aragón founded the city of Vera , later adopting the  name of the  current capital . At that time a land was allocated for the construction of a Franciscan monastery, which is the same space occupied until today.

Afterwards, the  locals  sent a  request  to the  Governorate of Rio de la Plata and Paraguay  , requesting a  priest  . According to his orders, in  1589  the  arrival  of  Friar Luis de Molina  took place. In fact, the construction of the convent  was in his charge . However, they had scarce resources that delayed and hindered work and living conditions. But over time the situation could be reversed and reforms were carried out. Even  the Franciscans created a school , which began as a modest ranch, and around  1792 obtained a  building .

 Outstanding center of evangelization 

 Fraile Luis de Bolaños , one of the  first priests of the Order in the region, had the  idea of installing various reductions. The  objectives  were that nomadic Indians could  establish themselves  in fixed populations and  facilitate  their  evangelization  . Due to the  location and importance  of the convent of San Francisco, it is that  there were numerous missionary initiatives  . As a result,  memorable spaces of worship were founded , such as  Itatí  in  1615 and  Santa Ana de los Guácaras in  1621 .

Rating: 0/5.