Ser Argentino. All about Argentina

Del Molino shows its restored façade

La confectionery del Molino is one of the many historic buildings that the City has, now shows its beauty.

This Buenos Aires icon has been covered and covered with a curtain since 2014, like the one that hides its ugliness from the people. For some time the National Government worked on the façade, roof and dome, preserving its original image and spirit, in order to highlight its heritage value so that tourists, neighbors and neighbors can enjoy it again

Located on Rivadavia and Callao avenues, a few steps from the Congress of the Nation, the Confectionery of the Mill began its history in late 1800, when the confectioners Constantino Rossi and Cayetano Brenna opened, in a rented premises in Rodríguez Peña and Rivadavia, the “Confectionery del Centro”. In 1866, they changed their name to “Antigua Confectionery del Molino”, as a tribute to Lorea, the first steam-flour mill in the city.

Rossi and Brenna decided to go looking for real estate in the area and in 1904 they bought the land where it is today. All furniture was imported from his native country, as well as luxurious glassware, marbles, stained glass windows, handles and bronze finishes.

In commemoration of the Centenary of Argentina's Independence, it was inaugurated as “Confectionery del Molino”, becoming the icon of Art Nouveau in Buenos Aires. During the days of the coup d'état that overthrew Hipólito Yrigoyen, in 1930, the place suffered a fire and closed its doors. The damage was so serious that the reconstruction demanded more than a year's work.

Because of their proximity to the National Congress, a large number of political figures sat in their halls. It was also celebrated artists from the history of our country, such as Niní Marshall and Libertad Lamarque. Also authors of the likes of Oliverio Girondo and Roberto Arlt, who also wrote about this traditional place in Buenos Aires. Carlos Gardel left his seal at Leguisamo, dessert he asked the pastry chef Brenna to pay tribute to his friend, the jockey Irineo Leguisamo. A tasty combination of sponge cake, puff pastry, meringue, glacé brown and imperial cream with almonds.

Shortly before the closure of the confectionery shop, which occurred in February 1997, the singer Madonna, visiting the country to film Evita, recorded a video clip on her premises. In that year, and fearing his demolition, the national government protected him by declaring it a National Historical Monument

Reconstruction

In 2014, the traditional Buenos Aires building was transferred to the Congress of the Nation. The Administrative Commission of the Molino Building, created by law, began a series of tasks to recover this Buenos Aires icon. At present, a multidisciplinary team of specialists from the National Congress continues to work to recover all the tangible and intangible heritage of the place to restore its full splendor.

Attractions about the Confectionery of the Mill

The famous dessert “Imperial Ruso” recognized in the world as an Argentine dessert, I think Brenna as a way of honoring the Bolshevik revolution of the beginning of the last century.

The tango “Gricel” is composed by José María Contursi to reflect his unique love story with Susana Gricel Viganto with which he remeets at the Confectionery del Molino after 22 years.

The confectionery was known as the “Third Chamber” because it was the meeting space par excellence between senators and national deputies. Four years later they went to live in Cordoba. Tango is recorded with the Aníbal Troilo Orchestra and the voice of Francisco Fiorentino and from there in more became a world classic.

Lisandro de la Torre, had a coffee every day in El Molino.

Alfredo Palacios enjoyed daily his cognac and the coffee ritual, while leaving his above all in custody so as not to enter Congress so warm. Going to look for him, on the way out, was the excuse to get entangled at another table of political conversations.

Rating: 0/5.