Skip to main content

The Stoppel Mansion, much more than a museum

The mansion on Avenida Emilio Civit is full of history and beauty. Traveling through its corridors and rooms is an
Art
La Mansión Stoppel, mucho más que un museo
21 November, 2019

The owner of the mansion

This mansion, which shines in the heart of the city, was Luis Stoppel. Chilean born and of German descent, had a very active life in Mendoza. Its relationship with our province is divided into two stages: the first from 1885 to 1895 and, the second, after living for several years in Buenos Aires and then in Europe, from 1912 until his death.

He was a trader, landowner, politician and had a high insertion in the social world of Mendoza in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

The commercial activity where he excelled was in a carriagecompany. Between 1885 and 1895, Stoppel lived in front of Cobos Square (present-day San Martín Square). Upon his return from Buenos Aires, in 1912, he settled in his new residence, in Sarmiento 1232 (present-day Emilio Civit Avenue). In turn, he also owned a villa in the village Potrerillos and bought land in different central areas of the city.

As for his political activity, he was Vice – Consul of Chile, honorific title product of his intimate relationship with the Transandean country and Mr. Mendoza. He provided asylum and assistance to every Chilean citizen who was in our province. He was also a councilman. of the City.

The mansion

Experts emphasize that the house participates in such a way as constitutive in the new image of the New City. Luis Stoppel established in the West zone of the city its housing, which, at that time, was sparsely populated. It is for this reason which must have placed the drinking water network. In this area they enter into dialogue different modern landmarks of Mendoza: the railway, the San General Park Martin, the gates of this same park and Emilio Civit Avenue.

The house was built under the chalettypology, 23 meters in front by 60 meters deep. At the same time, the land consisted of 1234 meters covered and 2000 gardens, where the current Emilio Civit Avenue was connected with the street Julio A. Roca. The work began around 1910 and opened in 1912.

Through a fence, the public space of the , and to the left was the entrance for the carriages and the new cars.

The facade

The façade features two imposing palm trees and vegetation rationally located on both sides of the access path. The mansion, with two floors, is elevated, which gives a solemn character to the building. The entrance is framed by two pairs of columns and in turn is advanced over the hall, which is released sideways, with a curved movement towards the vegetation.

On the upper floor, the same tripartite solution is repeated, but more sober and retracted. Finally, the facade is crowned with a cornice top with curved modillions, which continues with the design of the grate, which are completed with two French vases.

It is important to note that the original facade simulates some rectangular cuts colored with a pastel pink shade. This color repeats itself in the design of the floor tile of the hall. Therefore, the facade proposes an eclectic game of styles, where the notion of “Italian villa” prevails and allows dynamic games visual, between orthogonality and symmetry of the building and movements subtle curves of forward and backward over space.

No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like

X