I don't know if there's anything richer to accompany some mattes in the shade of a Santa Fe tree than German cake. In some towns in the interior of the province, such as Esperanza, do it like the gods . Such is so that they hold the record of the largest German cake in the world, with more than 90 meters (some animals).
The name “german cake” is generic, as appfelstrudel, sacher torte and so many more are several specific German cakes. But, in Santa Fe, when we mention that name, we make unequivocal reference to the pastry product made from the recipe offered by the descendants of germans of the region.
The story is that many years ago, in the colonists' homes milk was used to make all possible products and, given the surplus of milk cream, which could not be preserved because it did not count at that time with refrigeration devices, this cake was cooked to take advantage of it. Many are its variants , according to the family from which the recipe comes, but we chose to get them this, which is one of the simplest and most exquisite . And as the pastry chef says, “That's how my grandmother taught me how to make German cake.”
For the sponge cake
- 200 g of sugar
- 150 g of melted butter
- 400 g of leafant flour
- 3 eggs
- 150 cc of milk
- Vanilla Essence
- Zest of a large or 2 small lemon
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 75 g of cold butter
- 4 tbsp. filled with flour 0000
The cover of the German cake is done simply by joining with your hand all the ingredients until a granulate is formed. Do not overtouch this preparation with your hands because you can warm up the butter and ruin the granulate. Book inside the refrigerator until the time of use.
For the sponge cake
- Melt the butter and dump on top of the sugar. Beat until both ingredients are well integrated.
- Add the eggs one to one, whisking well after each addition.
- Add the sifted flour, whisking along with milk and a few droplets of vanilla essence.
- Beat a couple of minutes until we have a creamy preparation.
- Place the dough in a 25cm diameter mould, butted and floured and place over the cover we made before, covering the entire surface of the cake.
- Bake at 180 °C for 50 minutes approx.
Argentino, nacido en la ciudad de Santa Fe. Licenciado en Comunicación Social, especializado y apasionado por la redacción. Amante de las canciones, los idiomas y la interculturalidad. Me gusta emocionarme con un lindo texto y dejarme sorprender como un niño. Juego a que soy escritor y músico.