Where does the name “sausage steak” come from?
The sausage steak is a steak, but (the clarification looks like a perogrullo, but it does not matter) it is not a chorizo. It’s not even made of little pieces of sausage. Let’s be concrete and honest: we’re talking about a barbecue. An excellent barbecue, of the best quality, but a barbecue at last. The first time I asked, I was disappointed, I won’t deny it. I had made a fantasy around and thought it would be some kind of choris meat bread, but no. Then why is it called that?
The trap of semantics: it’s a steak, but not a chorizo
That same day, I came home and started looking for “sausage steak” in my headboard encyclopedia (my childhood happened in moments pre Google). Obviously, the encyclopedia didn’t include that entry. The next day, I decided to go to the fountain: I went to the butcher shop of Michelangelo, our trusted supplier, and asked him why he was called that. The answer was even more disappointing than the one suffered the day before: “by the way” was the only thing he told me (Don Miguel Ángel was deaf, so the talks with him were not very extensive). Then, with one hand he raised one of the fateful steaks and with the other a chorizo. He put them on par. The piece of meat was larger (and more tempting, I will not deny it), but there was no discussion that morphologically there were many similarities: both elongated, cylindrical, curved.
Over time I learned that it is a cut that is known as “entrecot” (which comes from the French “entrecôte”, which means “between ribs”) and is behind the spine. I also know it’s a delicacy for 90% of people. I’m in the other 10%. I haven’t overtaken my disappointment yet.
Hipólito Azema nació en Buenos Aires, en los comienzos de la década del 80. No se sabe desde cuándo, porque esas cosas son difíciles de determinar, le gusta contar historias, pero más le gusta que se las cuenten: quizás por eso transitó los inefables pasillos de la Facultad de Filosofía y Letras de la Universidad de Buenos Aires. Una vez escuchó que donde existe una necesidad nace un derecho y se lo creyó.
You may also like
Impunity of Judges
If the Judges are impartial, there can be no Justice for anyone. So, nothing can work well. Such a country
Arte inclusivo: las obras no entran solo por los ojos
Cuadros y obras de arte para todos los sentidos. El tacto y el oído son estimulados en la muestra para
Ariel Blasco: “Directing theatre is like making a movie, but cheaper”
Director, actor and screenwriter of theater and for multiple platforms. Leading Mendoza director Ariel Blasco talked about everything. We'll tell
The tillage of the south of Mendoza
We tell you the passion of the Roca family towards the art of making wines.
Resultados de la Conquista del Desierto I
Existen dos modelos para entender la labor de Julio Argentino Roca. Uno, el aportado por la historiografía tradicional. El otro,