clima-header

Buenos Aires - - Thursday 13 De May

Home Argentine Traditions Where does the name “chorizo steak” come from?

Where does the name “chorizo steak” come from?

Why is it called chorizo steak if it has nothing to do with chorizo? So you don't want to decpetion like me, I'll tell you on this note.

tag-posta
Traditions
De-dónde-sale-el-nombre-bife-de-chorizo

Chorizo steak is a steak, but (clarification seems perogullo, but it is not too much) it is not a  chorizo . It's not even made of chorizo pieces. Let's be concrete and honest: we're talking about a  churrasco . An excellent churrasco, of the best quality, but a churrasco at last. The first time I asked for it, I was disappointed, I'm not going to deny it. I had a fantasy around me and thought it would be some kind of choris meat loaf, but no. Then why is it called that?

The trap of semantics: it is a steak, but not a chorizo

That same day, I came home and started looking for “ chorizo steak ” in my bedside encyclopedia (my childhood passed in pre-Google moments). Obviously, the encyclopedia didn't include that entry. The next day, I decided to go to the source: I went to the butcher shop of Michelangelo, our trusted provider, and asked him why he was called that. The answer was even more disappointing than the previous day: “by the way” was all he told me (Don Miguel Ángel was deaf, so the talks with him were not very extensive). Then, with one hand he raised one of the fateful steaks and with the other a chorizo. He put them on par. The piece of meat was larger (and more tempting, I will not deny it), but there was no argument that morphologically there were many similarities: both elongated, cylindrical, curved.

Over time I learned that it is a cut that is known as “entrecote” (which comes from the French “entrecôte”, which means “between ribs”) and that is behind the spine. I also know it's a delicacy for 90% of people. I'm on the other 10%. I haven't missed the disappointment yet.

Publication Date: 28/09/2019

Share
Rate this item
0/5

Topics

cat1-artículos

I wrote! Reader Notes

Go to section

Comments


default
By: odilio 17 May, 2020

Yo se porque se llama bife de chorizo.

Leave feedback


Comments

Argentines around the world
 Comodoro Rivadavia A chubutense that does not go unnoticed in Brazil

Pablo Rodríguez is born and raised in Comodoro Rivadavia and currently presides over the Brazilian S...

Spectacle
Mirtha Legrand Another season without Mirtha Legrand?

The second season of the dinners and lunches now driving his granddaughter Juana Viale keeps a good...

History
Perón Domingo Antonio Raso, the man who took care of Perón

Domingo Antonio Raso's life was anonymous as his responsibility: he had to guard the leader of justi...

Health and Esthetics
Vida de Yoguini Moderna - práctica para relajar la espalda Yoga to relax your back

Today Patrizia brings us a quiet practice, suitable for all levels, to relax the upper back area, wh...

fm-barcelona

Articles


I want to be up to date

Subscribe to our newsletter and I received the latest news