I wrote! Reader NotesGo to section
With the new migratory flows, the Cabildo and Casa de Gobierno were demolished and rebuilt with different European styles.
When the city of Santa Fe moved in 1660, one of the first buildings to be built was the seat of the Cabildo : its function was to govern and impart justice . The first was a very precarious architecture , with tapia and adobe walls, gable cane and wood roofs.
In 1814, due to its deterioration, the authorities decided to build a new building . This work, completed in 1821, was carried out thanks to the help and contribution of the neighbors .
Within that historic Cabildo , events of great importance occurred both at the provincial and national levels : provincial autonomy was announced from its balconies in 1815, treaties and interprovincial covenants were signed, and National Constitution in 1853. From that moment on, a major stage began: the arrival of European immigrants , the impetus of political, social and economic changes in the agro export model, the railways and the consequent emergence of villages around stations, the construction of ports. This new scenario caused more than significant changes in the life and history of our country.
On December 10, 1907, in the main hall of the Cabildo , the Convention on Reforming the Provincial Constitution was solemnly inaugurated, and this is the last public act of importance to be held in the historic enclosure .
Many of the above-mentioned transformations were reflected in the buildings, including the Cabildo , which was seen as a construction that did not correspond to the progress of the time. It is because of this, that the provincial government ordered its demolition in 1908.
The General Council of Education , then located on the top floor of the Sarmiento School (First Junta and May 1st), was the seat of the provincial government during the execution of the current Casa Gris.
The construction of the Government House took place between 1908 and 1917. For the lifting of the building, the Cabildo, the Police Headquarters (known as the “giraffe” for its exotic tower that adorned the building) was demolished in 1903 by Governor Rodolfo Freyre on the corner of Calle San Martín and 3 de Febrero, and other constructions that completed the block . All this makes it possible to understand the spirit that animated these majestic works. It was not just about the realization of new buildings , but the place that was chosen to occupy: the same place where the most representative architecture of the Hispanic period was located. The transformation of the Plaza 25 de Mayo sector and its surroundings was due to a modernization and progress plan on which both the provincial and municipal authorities were committed.
Currently, there are the governor's office and the Ministries of Justice and Human Rights, Economy, Public Works and Government and State Reform .
The Government House is a work by the Italian architect Francisco Ferrari and represents the triumph of eclecticism . It is the building that best illustrates the cosmopolitan spirit of the liberal period and period of Santafesina architecture .
Ferrari opted for an incomplete symmetrical plant to the south, that is, half block with pavilions that circle two large courtyards, with a monumental scale composed according to eclectic academic prescriptions, with French and Italian predominance. With these keys, he resorts to designs with various effects, such as crowning the building with slate tiles, chimney, oculas, ridges, cherubs, garlands and portholes. A whole device developed to emphasize sectors such as the entrance portal, balconies and corner domes. For its realization, the best materials of the time were used, brought from different parts of the country and Europe.
Inside we find the entrance hall, which stands out the main staircase built in Carrara marble, iron and bronze. Above it, the bell that formed part of the Cabildo since 1770 and was cast in the seventeenth century in the Jesuit missions. After its expulsion in 1667, it was acquired by the Santafesino government and used to summon the neighbors in case of attacks on the city or celebrations in the Plaza de Armas, currently known as Plaza 25 de Mayo .
Source : Government of Santa Fe
Publication Date: 27/01/2020
There are not comments
In the City of Mendoza, the Central Market has been operating for years. Regional products, entertai...
Sofia Ramírez is a young woman from Paraná who is based in the city of Berlin, Germany. How do they...
In a weekly week, the Argentine workers' movement was born as a negotiating unit. And the first pogr...
New opportunities emerge from the pandemic and crises. Let's talk about the history of the brand new...